Financial Leadership Cohort
Nonprofits Assistance Fund knows financial leadership can be challenging. You may not always feel you have the knowledge and skills to confidently lead your organization’s financial management. We also know successful and thriving organizations are those with leaders who approach finance with confidence, even when they may not have all the answers.
Empowering confidence around finance is a big task, and we aim to do just that at Nonprofits Assistance Fund, one person at a time. And we’d like you to join us!
In 2015, Nonprofits Assistance Fund piloted a Financial Leadership Cohort. The goal is to develop financial leadership capacity needed for nonprofit organizations to be sustainable and financially healthy. By participating in the cohort, you will become more knowledgeable, confident, and savvy about nonprofit finance. Target results for your organization: greater understanding of your organization’s financial position, clarity and ability to change as needed, and integration of finance in the plans, goals and strategies of the organization.
You are an ideal candidate for this cohort if you are:
- In the role of managing your organization’s finances without a formal finance background
- From an organization with a budget size between $500,000 and $3,000,000
- Eager and interested in the positive results a cohort like this could bring to you and your organization
- Poised to make change in your organization and the nonprofit sector
Participants will receive:
- 6 monthly half-day learning sessions on key financial leadership topics such as understanding business models, communicating financial information, and building relationships with staff and board around finance
- Opportunities to apply what you learn in your own organization
- An assessment of your personal financial skills and abilities and an analysis of your organization’s current financial position,
- Connections with a group of peers for support and sharing,
- One-on-one coaching with a NAF finance expert
Participants will gain:
- Confidence in your nonprofit management skills and knowledge
- Confidence in your abilities as a financial leader
- Increased knowledge and understanding of nonprofit financial management concepts
- Progress on outcomes you identify to work on
- Improvement in your organization’s financial position
- Engagement that continues through the alumni group
Important dates and deadlines:
- The cohort application will open in 2017. The cohort will be chosen through a competitive process.
- You will be asked to complete a personal and organizational financial assessment before the first meeting of the cohort.
- Cohort sessions are from 8:30am - 12:30pm on a weekday to be determined, in months to be determined.
Check back for the cohort application link. The Financial Leadership Cohort has been free for participants due to the generous support of the Jay and Rose Phillips Family Foundation. For questions about the cohort or the application process, please contact Beverly Bushyhead, Program Director at Nonprofits Assistance Fund, at [email protected] or 612-767-7141.